Thursday, July 27, 2006

Spiritual ADD

I have a disease, I suffer from spiritual ADD. Now I don't literally have a disease, nor do I suffer from any sort of ADD, but none-the-less I feel that many times that my spiritual focus take on the characteristics of ADD. Simply put, its frustrating! My heart wants to do all things right, wants to desperately pursue God, listen, be obedient and yet I have the hardest time keeping focused on the goal. There are so many thing that are distracting. So many GOOD things that are distracting.

I think that the 'medicine' for this is simply prayer, meditation, seeking God...and yet this is probably the most difficult thing. Its allowing/requiring myself to be disciplined enough to do all of this. Ahh! So bloody frustrating!

I think many times I allow my situations to dictate where I sit spiritually, and I don't often allow God to dictate where I should be spiritually. In many ways, it seems incredibly weak. And I know that this is certainly something that needs to be addressed, needs to be improved on, otherwise I think that there will be so much unnecessary strife.

In the words of Brenton Brown..."my strength will rise as I wait upon the Lord" I hate waiting...but I know that this is the only option if I do truely desire to become more like Christ.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Very true thought Geoff! Waiting can be one of the hardest things in life. I'm glad that I'm getting more disiplined in reading God's Word lately, but to take time to take to the next step of meditating, or thinking about it, can be pretty rough. My thoughts seem to be all over the place most of the time. To be focused is an awesome goal for me.

Geoff said...

it's funny how easily we can become disiplined to brush our teeth, to have a morning cup of coffee (or tea, or...water?) and yet becoming disiplined to spend time reading God's word, being in the presence of the Almighty, is such a struggle. I mean, this is God we're talking about, you'd think that I would want to spend over moment, every lull in life with God. Lord knows I can be a bit of a scatter brain. Focus would be an awesome goal for me as well, 'lace on the mitt...'