Friday, July 28, 2006

Decisions...

I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay. You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Psalm 16:8-11 (TNIV)

This was an interesting passage to read, largely because of the part in bold. You make known to me the path of life. Interesting to think of, God does make known to us the path of life that we need to be taking. The question is, are we (a) listening and (b) willing to walk the path that God is telling us. I know that this is something that I certainly struggle with. Greatly because it requires ME to make the initial step, to step out in faith that this is the path that God wants me to take. Certainly not easy. My biggest struggle is with stepping out and making the decision to follow the path that is before me. I have been so conditioned to allow others to make the decisions for me. Sure I have made decisions for myself. But in many ways these seem like pseudodecisions. Now obviously not all decisions fall under the 'pseudodecision' category...choosing to follow Christ is definitely NOT a pseudodecision. But many others have been. Take for example my choice to attend (and graduate) university. Did I really have much of a choice in the matter? Not really with both societal pressure and parental pressures to attend.

The times that I have made a decision have always seemed to be followed with a deluge of doubt, fears and uncertainty as to whether it was the right decision...whether it was what God truely wanted me to do. And often I have no clue as to whether the decision is what God would have wanted me to make. At the end of the day I guess that I have to trust that the path that I am following does have an ultimate purpose in the grand painting that God has begun in me. Still doesn't make it any easier.

Am I willing to listen? Am I willing to put into practice that in which I've heard? I'd like to say confidently 'yes' to each of these questions, but the reality of it is, often I may not say yes, or I may drag my feet ressiting the will to say yes to God and no to my own personal ambitions and desires. I understand that my ambitions, my desires are important but I have a hard time recognising that the desires and ambitions that God has in store for me far outweigh anything that I could ever dream of. What I think is amazing now, will be so much more amazing in the future if I could just allow God to do his will. Ack! Throw away my brain, I'd do so much better!


No comments: