Monday, July 31, 2006

BOLDNESS in Christ

And the special gift of ministry you received when I laid hands on you and prayed - keep that ablaze! God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible.
So don't be embarrassed to speak up for our master or for me, his prisoner. Take your share of suffering for the Message along with the rest of us.

02 Timothy 1 :6-8 (The Message)

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.
So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life, —not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace.

02 Timothy 1:6-9a (NIV)

So, this passage spoke to me last night. Particularly the part about being BOLD and that we have not been given a spirit of timidity, but of boldness. What an amazing statement. God is calling us to be bold, to stand and speak the truth. So often I find it easy, comfortable, safe, to not boldly stand for what I believe, to not boldly stand for the ultimate truth. So often I am worried about upsetting someone or offending them that I slink away and not outwardly tell them what God wants them to hear.

And here's my revelation. We are called to be God's messengers. The vessels in which the Word of God is spread. I don't think messengers are allowed to be timid. Think of medieval times where the king would send a mesage to an opposing force. That message has to be delivered. The declaration of war has to be delivered to the opposing force for them to know that this is their last chance before being utterly annihilated. This messenger must covey the message at all costs. I wonder are we, am I, truely committed to being that messenger? Are we willing to convey God's message no matter the consequence? I know that this is something that speaks closely to my heart. Am I willing to convey the message no matter the cost? Hmm...food for thought.

1 comment:

Marty Cooper said...

Geoff,

Great visual image of the messenger delivering the declaration of war. We too have to delcare war, at all costs, for our Lord.

As we say at my church "That'll preach". Thanks for sharing, even if I found it years later.