Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Do you have the courage to let go?

Do you ever wonder if you have the courage to put you life on the line for a cause? Blame it on John Eldredge's book Wild at Heart but I have been on this war mind set for the last couple of days. So far this has translated into two movies on TV (of which I never did find out the titles) and purchasing U-571 and Enemy at the Gates. What get's me is the overwhelming response to go all out for the cause, even if that means that your likely going to die. Now, I realize that most of these are romaticised Hollywood renditions and likely men battled to fear that they had in times of war, and perhaps didn't always act couragously; however, I think that there is a great analogy in it all.

Spiritually, I would love to say that I am couragous and that I stand up for all good but in reality, do I? A line from U-571 goes something like this, to be a true leader, to be a captain, you have to be able to make decisions without a pause for thought and you must be willing to sacrifice the live of the men that are under your command to fulfill the greater good. The thing that I feel with this is, are we willing to sacrifice the things in our lives that we love and care about for the greater good? For God's greater purpose? I struggle with this thought in the sense that, there are many things that I and not sure that I would easily sacrifice, but would I be willing? I would hope so. I believe that God is training us to be captains in his army, He's building us up as men to lead those that fight beside us. The question is, are we willing to sacrifice the comfortabilities in our lives, the loves in our lives, to obtain the greater goal?

No comments: