Tuesday, August 22, 2006

When He said I was free, He ment I was FREE

Here's a thought that I had the other day. Verses first, then the thought...

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

1 Corinthians 6: 19-20
For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave. You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men.

1 Corinthians 7: 22-23

Both passages were pulled from the NIV. The significance of these two passages has to do with the idea of a ransom. Now, obviously a ransom is a sum a money to pay for the freedom of someone. Let that sink a little bit, a ransom is a sum a money to pay for the freedom of someone. I got to thinking about what God did for us, what Jesus did for us. Jesus paid our ransom! Maybe this seems significant for me in the fact that so many times I choose to live in captivity, I choose to stay with Satan, my kidnapper, rather than running home to my Father.

This idea is profound for me in the thought that with all the areas in my life that I struggle with, there is a simple fact that I do not have to live in bondage to the sin that afflicts me, the price of that sin has been already paid for. It seems that somehow the dillusion of the time that I have spent in captivity has somehow over powered the truth that I am already free, that I can walk away from being consumed by the struggle and begin my walk home to the Father. Incredible!

There we go...my brainstorm for the week.

No comments: